Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Rossini in the morning

Today's earworm: "Voga, o Tonio benedeto," the ninth song in Gioachino Rossini's collection, Les soirĂ©es musicales (also called La Regatta Veneziana). It's a sprightly duet for women's voices. Funny thing is, I haven't sung this since I was probably 17 years old! Another day, another random earworm. Or so I thought...

I received an email this morning announcing the upcoming programs of the JP Concerts. To be honest, I didn't even read the email in its entirety. I glanced at it quickly (and I mean, QUICKLY), knowing I would visit the website later. I went off to work and, while I was walking to my office, I noticed I was humming the opening of Rossini's duet. I was stunned! I couldn't imagine how this tune could've seeped into my brain twenty years after I'd last sung it! I made a mental note to write another blog post. Then, while eating my (omg, so delicious) clam chowder, I had a chance to visit the JP Concerts website. Sure enough, listed at the bottom of the main page I spotted, "Soiree Musicale avec Duo saxophone et piano." Granted, this program didn't appear to include Rossini, but nevertheless, my brain decided to run with making the connection between soirĂ©es musicales and La Regatta Veneziana, and finally to Voga, o Tonio benedeto. Remarkable.

Now, back to my chowder (to which, due to the loveliness of Harvard Business School's catering company, I was given the option to add more clams as well as lobster)...

No comments:

Post a Comment